Monday, April 10, 2017

Working at the Market

Last summer I had the opportunity to work at my best friend’s family farm market. I never knew how much went into making the whole store come together. Like many other things, working on the farm has many ups and downs. Some of those include cleaning, sorting through produce, working with customers, and creating displays. I learned several life lessons and important tips that I would like to share with you all.


1.       Counting back change
This is one skill many people overlook and no longer think is important. Counting back change is a big part of having money skills. It helps with basic math and customers are happy and in shock when they see a cashier is counting back change to them. It shows you know what you are doing and care about the customers.

2.       Working with people
When you are dealing with customers it is all about them. No matter what else you have going on, keeping the customer happy is the idea. Be polite and interact with them. They may need help but do not want to ask for it.

3.       Display is important
When you have a display set up, it draws people in. Attractiveness pulls people in. Once you have a customer intrigued by the look of the store, you also must keep them interested in what you are selling. The setup within the overall display is key. At the farm, it is important that the produce is full and colorful. Anything that is older and running low looks bad to the customers.
Keep it clean and the aesthetics well done.

These are just a few of the things that I learned while working. They worked to open my eyes and to see the big picture of what my hard work does in the end. I am excited to be working for them again later in the summer and to see what new things are in store for me.


Have you ever had a job that taught you many things you did not think of in the beginning? Feel free to share thoughts and opinions in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. That honestly sounds like such a fun summer job! Last summer I worked at a lawyer's office filing. That definitely wasn't the most exciting job, but it really did teach me a lot. I had no idea there were so many steps involved when purchasing property and how long the process can take. I have a whole new appreciation for lawyers after working there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your summer job sounded so fun! I would love getting to work outside. I learn a lot teaching high school band camps during the summer, get to know all the kids, and get a little sun as well. Glad you enjoyed your summer job. Have fun again this summer!

    ReplyDelete