Sunday, April 23, 2017

Pinterest’s Move to Get Rid of the Like Button

Pinterest recently announced that they are going to remove the “like” option off their site. This could mean big things for those that track likes as part of their performance. The following quote is taken from the article on Social Media Today. It states, “There are lots of reasons why people like Pins on Pinterest. But because we have both a Save button and a Like button, it hasn’t always been clear how they’re different. After doing a bunch of research with Pinners, we found Pinterest is easier to understand when we remove the Like button altogether.”

They explain the difference between liking a pin and saving a pin. When you like a pin, it is moved to a different tab that only you can see, but when you save a pin, you add it to a board and anybody can see it.

Pinterest found that nobody really cared about the option and decided to get rid of it. They are also starting to move away from being common social media network. They state, “While other companies want you to live in a virtual world, Pinterest encourages people to live in the real world. We like to say, be yourself and not your selfie. There are many services out there with the mission of helping you connect and share with friends; we’re the one app exclusively in the visual discovery business.” Pinterest is starting to move away from social and is focusing now on the eCommerce potential.


Personally, I am in favor of this new change. I like the idea of just being able to save pins. I was more confused when I realized there was even a save option on Pinterest. So, what do you think? How do you feel about this change? Feel free to comment below!

5 comments:

  1. I agree that Pinterest should remove the like button. It never made sense to me because you could not sort or organize the liked pins. I use Pinterest to organize what I find. I cannot wait for this change to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Pinterest should remove the like button. It's confusing because you just save a bunch of ideas without organizing them. Organization is the whole point of Pinterest. Get rid of the like button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I am always super confused because I couldn't organize the liked pins. You have all of these ideas that you don't know what to do with. I can't wait for the like button to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree! I never liked how I couldn't personally create the order in which I wanted things on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never used the like button on Pinterest. This change is probably for the better if the like button wasn't doing anything other than saving pins to a private section. I think this is a good move on Pinterest's part! You can already create private boards, so what's the point of the like button?

    ReplyDelete