Thursday, April 27, 2017

Elephant Love

As you can probably tell from the header image I have a deep love for elephants. This love started for me in about second grade. I distinctly remember learning about the areas certain animals live in and having to create that biome for a specific animal. I chose an elephant and that is what started it all. I was trying to figure out what to do for my next post and it just came to me. I wanted to share with you all some of the fun facts I found along with some images of adorable elephants. Enjoy!

1.       African elephants are the largest land mammals on the planet.

2.       Females African elephants undergo the longest pregnancy of 22 months.

3.       Elephants do not like peanuts despite what all the television shows say.

4.       Asian elephants do not run. They keep at least two feet on that ground at a time.

5.       They can recognize themselves in a mirror.

6.       Elephants can get sunburned. They throw sand on their backs and head to keep bugs off and prevent sunburn.


7.       They have evolved a sixth toe that starts off as cartilage, but as they grow it becomes bone.

4 comments:

  1. Elephants are pretty cool. I could not imagine being pregnant for 22 months. I've always wanted to ride an elephant or at least pet one. I wonder why television has elephants associated with liking peanuts. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for the Asian elephants. I wouldn't want to run either. It's really amazing how smart elephants actually are. People don't always give animals the credibility for their intelligence and it's sad to see when that happens. Elephants are absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby elephant videos I see on twitter have made me love elephants more and more! I had no idea that elephants grow a sixth toe! It's amazing how smart and interesting they are, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These facts were so cool. I love elephants too. I think it is so incredible that there are so many amazing animals on this Earth and yet many of us know very little about them. Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete