Thursday, April 13, 2017

Lent and Chapel


Being a Catholic means that I partake in Lent each year. Lent is a religious observance that begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts for 40 days. It is a time for reflection and preparation before Easter. By observing these 40 days, Catholics replicate Jesus Christ’s sacrifices.

Each year I try to give at least two things up as my sacrifice. People find it odd that I start off with two. I choose two because I tend to bail out on one, whether it be because I forgot or just plain failed. Every year I give up slushies and that is what I tend to fail with. This year was different though. I started off giving up fried food and slushies. I failed and ate fried foods because I honestly forgot. I made it my goal, to give up slushies because I have an unhealthy obsession for them. I am proud to say that for once in my life, I made a sacrifice, nowhere near the sacrifices that Jesus made, and followed through with it until the end. Yes, it was challenging, but rewarding at the same time.

Also, the Ohio Northern University had an Easter service that I had the opportunity to partake in. I was not originally asked to do this, but because a friend had to leave early, I got the opportunity to sit up on the stage and paint a scene for Jesus Christ. When it was all done, I felt a strong sense of being watch over and pride for having to do something that may seem like such a small gesture compared to the sacrifices others have made.


I ask all of you to take time over this holiday break to reflect and think of the true reasons we celebrate Easter. Feel free to share any of your experiences with Lent. Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. I am Orthodox, so I completely know where you are coming from when it comes to lent. This year, I should have done more for lent. But I made up for it in returning home to Fort Wayne to go to the Good Friday service. It was awesome to hear the chants of Good Friday one more time.

    ReplyDelete