Monday, April 3, 2017

Twitter's Egg Avatar

I found an article on Social Media Today stating that Twitter has recently announced the change from its default egg avatar. They have now made the avatar a generic, gray silhouette. This change occurred in efforts to encourage more people to upload a profile image.

 I have not been on Twitter for long, but was a fan of the egg and what it stood for. They are saying that the egg “was a playful way to reference how eggs hatch into birds that send all the Tweets you see in Twitter.” Like many new things, a push for personal expression is being looked for.

Along with changing the avatar, Twitter recently released a new function that allows users to block all tweets from all egg accounts. The egg logo allows troll and harassers on the platform, which is trying to be eliminated. Many people tend to like the egg and do not want to change it. Twitter had to work hard to find the most generic image to use.


I am sure about all of you, but if I saw a generic, grayscale image I would be encouraged to add a photo. Let me know what you think about this change in the comments below! 

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed the egg avatar because it was original. No other social media site had something like that. I do get the reference of an egg to a bird as well. I think I had heard that before as well. I am curious of how this will effect their brand image as a site and if people will actually change their profile picture because of this.

    ReplyDelete