Saturday, March 18, 2017

The start to an Internship

In eighth grade teachers start pressuring students to figure out what they want to do with their lives after high school. Every year it is the same question just a different teacher asking it. At the end of my sophomore year, I visited my great uncle’s museum in Illinois. He runs the Pontiac Oakland Museum in Pontiac, Illinois.

From talking with my grandfather, I learned that my great uncle used to work for the State of Oklahoma on graphic design. So, it makes sense that he designs all the graphics for the museum. This is when I decided what I wanted to do with my life.

I love the idea of working in a small town, building businesses through public relations and graphics. I decided last year that I wanted to do an internship with my great uncle and learn how he does what he does. This summer I get the opportunity to spend two months in Illinois working on my internship.

It is stressful and exciting at the same time. I have been in contact with my great uncle about this summer and he wants me to design some t-shirts to sell in the museum. Over spring break, I had the opportunity to sit down and start some very rough sketches for the designs. The idea was to get the basic designs down on paper. I wanted to share with you all what I have come up with so far.


I am excited to get to Illinois and learn an unthinkable number of things that will change my life. So, I ask you all, what brought you to your major? Have you done an internship that seemed to be life changing? Please share your experiences in the comments below. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your internship! I'm glad you found one already. I am personally so unprepared to go and find one, so kudos to you! The designs are looking great already. I wish you the best of luck during your time in Illinois!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This next step into your career is so exciting! It's awesome that you already found an internship. It is also nice and convenient for you that you get to be working with your uncle. I am also hoping to find one soon, so I would love to hear how it goes! Have fun in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete