Sunday, February 19, 2017

Six Random Tattoo Facts

Sense I have personally gotten four tattoos in the past couple of years, and have been looking for more ideas, I figured it would be interesting to look up some random facts about tattoos. I found an article on msn that goes through a series of facts. I chose just six that I found most intriguing. Enjoy!

1.       Between 1961 and 1997, it was illegal to get a tattoo in New York City following the outbreak of hepatitis B.

2.      The red star which is incorporated into the Macy's logo is a part of the tattoo of its founder, R.H. Macy. Macy got the ink while working on a whaling ship in his adolescence. 

3.      Black henna used for temporary tattoos contains p-phenylenediamine or PPD. The FDA has warned that it may cause permanent scarring and other reactions.

4.      Over the years, sailors’ tattoos have had different meanings. For instance, a turtle indicated he had crossed the Equator, a dragon signified that the sailor had served in China, and an anchor showed that he had crossed the Atlantic. 

5.      A tattoo parlor called Little Vinnie’s Tattoos in Baltimore, Maryland, United States, is well known among female breast cancer survivors. Vinnie expertly designs detailed areolas on women after they have had mastectomies. 

6.      While filming “xXx,” actor Vin Diesel had a fake tattoo – the name Melkor – on his stomach. It was revealed that it was the name of Diesel’s character on a game of which he was a big fan, Dungeons & Dragons.

I hope you all found these facts as interesting as I did. Tattoos have become a soft of addiction for me. While they can be addicting, tattoos for me have been a strong sense of self-expression and a strong creative outlet. So, have any of you gotten a tattoo? If so what meaning do they have in their life? 

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a tattoo. I haven't gotten one yet, but I was promised one for my birthday. I plan on getting a dandelion with music notes incorporated into the design with my sisters because it's something I want to share with them and music has had such an impact on my life, I want to memorialize it. The other idea I want is a tattoo with the word perspective written in a creative way. I want this one because I've had so much going on in my life that I need to keep a positive perspective and learn to walk in someone else's shoes and see what they see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard these facts, so thank you for sharing! These were really interesting. I love how tattoos can have meanings, but also love how they can be seen as just art on your body. Out of my five tattoos only one has actual meaning to me; the others are because I view my body basically as my canvas for art that I enjoy. My tattoo that has meaning is on my ribs and says "serendipity". Its my favorite word and is a reminder that when I'm feeling really down that happiness can come out of nowhere. I also completely agree that tattoos are addicting; I've gotten three in the past couple months!

    ReplyDelete