Sunday, January 22, 2017

Things Our Majors are Tired of Hearing

We have all had those moments when people say, “Oh, you go to Ohio Northern?”

But have you ever had people say things such as:
“Are you a Pharmacist?”
“Engineer?”
“Law student?”

When the answers are no they always ask:
 “Then what do you do?”

For me the response is Graphic Design with a minor in Public Relations. Now I know some people are in those majors that I named above, but there is something just different about being in an art major. People seem to misunderstand what happens within the Wilson Art Center.

Since many of you may not know these things I figured I would just share with  you some of the things I have personally heard from people outside of my major.

1. “So you just draw pictures?”
Yes and no, the design process is more than simply just drawing pictures all the time. It consists of many more steps including: brainstorming, sketches, critiques, roughs, critiques, final project, and (you guessed it) more critiques. It is the buildup of more than just a simple picture.

2. “You’re so lucky you don’t have tests.”
 We have very few, if any tests. The amount of time though that most students put in studying for tests and exams is the equivalent to the design student’s studio time and working in the lab to finish a project. If you question it just put yourself in my shoes for one day and live through a critique from Professor Rowe, then tell me I have it easy. The projects we have are our versions of your tests.

3. “I wish I had a fun major like yours.”
Okay, so I admit it, I think I do have a fun major to an extent. Just like any other major though it can be very stressful and not every project is going to be your cup of tea.

4. “You’re lucky you don’t have textbooks.”
This is a lie, depending on the class, yes, we have textbooks. On top of that the amount of supplies we get are an extra cost that adds up far more quickly than you might expect it to.

These are just a few of the things that people in my major are tired of hearing. I hope that I have helped clear up some of these things. Maybe some of you can relate to this within Graphic Design, and maybe even within your own majors. Feel free to add some of your own, “Things Your Major is Tired of Hearing!”

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't relate to this more! I can't even tell you how many times my pharmacy friends or biology friends are like, "I wish I had your major, you don't even do anything." I am thinking in the back of my head, "Okay, you try out graphic design as a major and then tell me if it's still easy."Just because we don't have textbooks, doesn't even matter because art supplies for the classes are not cheap! So I completely agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete